Gli affreschi duecenteschi con le storie di Mosè dell’Abbazia di Grottaferrata: storia e conservazione (Estratto dal fasc. 3 - serie VII)

    

Nascosti da un soffitto cinquecentesco, gli affreschi medievali con le ‘Storie di Mosè’ oggetto di questo studio, si sono salvati proprio grazie alla protezione offerta dal cassettonato ligneo voluto dal cardinale Alessandro Farnese. Una volta riscoperte alla fine dell’Ottocento, si decise di documentare le pitture facendone fare da M. Ximenes alcune copie a olio da inviare all’Esposizione generale di Torino del 1881. Quasi del tutto sconosciute, le copie in questione, suddivise in quattro cartoni, vengono qui pubblicate integralmente e messe a confronto con quanto resta del ciclo pittorico duecentesco. Restaurati una prima volta nel 1904 da Luigi Bartolucci e studiati da P. Toesca, gli affreschi della chiesa di Santa Maria a Grottaferrata furono nuovamente restaurati da Arnolfo Angelo Crucianelli nel 1969, guidato dall’allora soprintendente Guglielmo Matthiae, e furono parzialmente staccati dalle pareti della chiesa. Del ciclo, restano ancora in situ due sole scene raffiguranti ‘Mosè con la verga tramutata in serpente’ e ‘Mosè e il roveto ardente’, mentre i restanti episodi vetero-testamentari presi in esame sono oggi conservati presso il Museo dell’Abbazia di San Nilo. Lo stacco degli anni ’60, che portò alla scoperta di una duplice stesura pittorica medievale eseguita a distanza di un trentennio l’una dall’altra, fu anche la causa della distruzione della seconda stesura su gran parte del ciclo. Di un nuovo restauro, compiuto nel 2005 da Maria Grazia Chilosi in occasione del nuovo allestimento del Museo dell’Abbazia, diretta da Barbara Fabian e coadiuvata per le analisi scientifiche da Pietro Moioli, Claudio Seccaroni e Maria Laura Santarelli, si dà conto in questo lungo saggio a più mani. Il nuovo intervento conservativo, che ha comportato anche la sostituzione dei vecchi telai, ha consentito di distinguere, laddove possibile, le due diverse fasi pittoriche del ciclo, del quale viene offerta per la prima volta una ricca e completa campagna fotografica a colori, accompagnata da numerosi grafici in cui sono schematizzate le due distinte redazioni duecentesche.
  
 
The thirteenth–century frescoes with Stories of Moses in the Abbey of Grottaferrata: history and conservation
Barbara Fabjan: History of the thirteenth-century frescoes
Maria Grazia Chilosi: History and interpretation of the executive phases of the frescoes based on the restoration
Pietro Moioli, Claudio Seccaroni: Characterization through X-ray fluorescence analysis of the pigments present in the
detached mural paintings (Appendix 1)
Maria Laura Santarelli: Characterization of a pictorial stratum of red colour in the frescoes (Appendix 2)

Hidden by a sixteenth–century ceiling, the medieval frescoes with ‘Stories of Moses’, to which this study is devoted, have been saved from destruction precisely thanks to the protection afforded by the wooden coffered ceiling installed in the abbey church by Cardinal Alessandro Farnese. Once the frescoes were rediscovered in the late nineteenth century, it was then decided to document the paintings by commissioning M. Ximenes to make some oil–painted copies of them to be sent to the Esposizione Generale in Turin in 1881. Almost entirely forgotten, the copies in question, subdivided into four cartoons, are here published in their entirety and compared with what remains of the thirteenth–century mural cycle. The frescoes in the church of Santa Maria at Grottaferrata were first restored by Luigi Bartolucci in 1904 and studied by P. Toesca. They were subjected to a second restoration by Arnolfo Angelo Crucianelli in 1969, under the supervision of the then Soprintendente Guglielmo Matthiae, and were partially detached from the walls of the church. Of the cycle, only two scenes in fact still remain in situ: they are the scenes representing ‘Moses with the Rod turned into a Serpent’ and ‘Moses and the Burning Bush’. The remaining Old Testament episodes of the cycle are now preserved in the Museum of the Abbazia di San Nilo. Their detachment from the walls of the church in the late 1960s, which led to the discovery of two superimposed medieval pictorial redactions painted some thirty years apart, was also the cause of the destruction of the second version over the larger part of the cycle. A new restoration of the mural cycle was conducted by Maria Grazia Chilosi in 2005, coinciding with the new display in the Abbey Museum, directed by Barbara Fabian, with the assistance of Pietro Moioli, Claudio Seccaroni and Maria Laura Santarelli for the scientific analyses. Its results are presented in this lengthy study written by several authors. The new restoration, which also involved the substitution of the old canvases to which the detached frescoes had been transferred, permitted a distinction to be drawn, where possible, between the two different pictorial phases of the cycle. The restoration has also made it possible to conduct for the first time a rich and comprehensive photographic campaign in colour of the frescoes, accompanied by numerous diagrams in which the two distinct thirteenth–century redactions are plotted.